- Plan a budget that covers daily expenses and on-island travel, as well as unforeseen incidents including boat repairs and flights home for emergencies.
- Expect and plan for guests, and be prepared to lay down ground rules ahead of time that will keep them safe and stem unreasonable expectations.
- Have a loose plan, and be flexible. Mother Nature is your guide, and she doesn't always have the same plan as you do.
- Your dinghy is your lifeline to fun and exploration (both on land and at sea). Invest in a good one.
- Redundancy can save you from a bad day. Bring an extra of anything that can break or be dropped overboard (flashlights, tools, fin and mask straps, and engine parts, to name a few).