It’s easy to admire Dr. Stanley Paris, who, sailing aboard the Lyman Morse 63 Kiwi Spirit, just took first place in the single-handed leg of the Bermuda One-Two Yacht Race. Here are five more reasons that we think he’s a yachtsman well worth watching:
• He is now prepping his Bruce Farr design to depart from St. Augustine, Florida, this November in a challenge to Dodge Morgan’s 1986 solo circumnavigation record of 150 days.
• If he succeeds, he also will become the oldest solo, nonstop circumnavigator, at age 75.
• Paris has logged more than 60,000 sailing miles, swum the English Channel twice, and competed in the Ironman World Championship triathlon.
• During the past year alone, he completed a motorbike race as well as a half-marathon.
• He’s making it easy for us to play armchair mate on his next adventure. Check out the current location for Kiwi Spirit and follow Paris’s attempt at the solo circumnavigation record at www.stanleyparis.com.